The Unruly Neighbor

The Unruly Neighbor

It so happened that one night, as usual insomnia was creeping in on me, I happen to be awake till late mid night, and there it was the two antennas, waving, at me as if they are just seeing as to who I might be. I was other than intensity of my work, was focused, but somehow those antennas having done their job, had my partial attention. 

So, then it was decided as a custom, I stare it back, there was silence, the exoskeleton without flinching not making any move at all. I decided to act upon, I slowly climbed up the sofa, crawled it to the other side made a note, that the ancient being is at the very same spot where left him.It was customary that I took some foot wear to just squash it to the floor, all the senses were focused now on the being on the floor. There was stillness and only thing that moved was the breeze from the ceiling fan and those antennas making concentric circles. Question was to break the silence, the stillness, with neither of us making a move I decided that it was time to end this little encounter.

I looked around slowly and found that there was on the table a newspaper lying around, I picked it up that distracted me from this duel. I worked and adjusted my seat, but the ancient being was no more where I left him before.That being now moved closed to the door, it gave that being opportunity to escape in the darkness of door creak, when confronted with danger. I realize that time is something that I don’t have. I made my move, as I flung my newspaper bundled in shape of missile but as it happened, that ancient being scurried away to the darkness and all I can do was turn in frustration, the missile landed on the floor, making a “phat”. I was dismayed, not because that my intention was not realized, but somewhere from that darkness in the creak of door, those antennas mocked me for a missed attempt.

That being my last encounter, over the next several days I looked at that creak in door wondering whether those antennas still mocked me from the shield of darkness.One fine day, having forgot the encounter with that being. My attention was sought by an unusual  event the army of some red ants where moving away the carcass of cockroach out of the door creak. That resembled   something like a grand funeral procession worthy for that ancient being and as I still looked closely. Those antennas moved a little, at least I saw those moved. As if they still mocked me for that missed attempt. Later, I pondered over and over how was that, that ancient being submitted so easily to ants and not to me. Perhaps I will never know the answer but only two days before I saw something that brought made every piece of puzzle fall in its place. Some twenty thirty little roaches were scurrying around the same old door creak.

I guess it was time to call upon the pest control services and likewise their expertise was sought upon. And then thereafter I never had seen to roaches scurrying around. But Even Today, when I am alone, and as usual the insomnia would kick in, I would occasionally glance upon the door creak. Half expecting, those antennas taking a note of me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Icarus's Lament

The Underdog Part 12; The Escape

First post