Ailurophobia

Ailurophobia


It was warm summer day, having just arrived at the lodge, at the foothills of Rajgad fort, at around 2pm, the day now being one of the typical summers experienced in the western Maharasthra. There was heat and the air being still the atmosphere was heating up. Besides it was too tiring for me to just fare in to the jungle around. I returned at the lodge, where I had my lunch prepared by the cottage attendant. The lunch was sumptuous so soon I was snoozing with constant hum of generator.

The fact that cats have padded paws makes it most stealthy and lethal predator in the animal kingdom. No wonder these cats are at the top of the food chain. So, I investigated before I ventured in to the forest, some inquiries with the locals who dwell on the inner boundaries of forest  and mainly cultivate rice till October to December. these locals mostly depend on cattle and livestock. On enquiry, the local confirmed that one of the calves was predated upon by the Tiger just two to three days ago. Now that I really don’t fear cats, who have adorable eyes but cat in question was a tiger, the question is not which felines are dangerous but the mere mention of the big cat just spooked me beyond recovery. suddenly the forest seemed much dense. My senses as for my primary reflexes became alert and on the way back to my lodge I at every rustle in the bush expected a hungry tiger ready to pounce upon. That fear was so intense that everything made sense, the flutter of birds making to sky out of sudden seemed as if the cat was on the move. So, when I came to lodge the fear was relieved a little but then you would never be sure of anything.

The attacks of tiger on humans are rare, mostly done when provoked or it’s the resemblance of prey position when humans squat as in harvesting or relieving themselves. So, I was in the territory of the tiger and that didn’t make me comfortable. It is I guess all the Discovery Channel that was subconsciously working. As the locals said and that if you choose to believe the tiger crosses boundaries of seven villages a night that means the tiger might be in the region, no one knows for sure. That feline can do something which is just amazing and at the same time fearsome. They employ element of surprise; these cats are heavy they can weigh at 90kg to 310kg depending upon the age and availability of preys in the region. It is due this weight and muscle that a tiger can reach a speed up to 90 kms per hour but only for a few yards that’s what made them hunt stealthily. The stripes just add the camouflage for this excellent hunter.

As if the experience in the forest wasn’t enough, next day I made up my mind to climb Rajgad. So much for the Ailurophobia. I climbed the Rajgad starting at seven in the morning. That was a good time because I was at the top of main castle at around noon and back to lodge before 3:30 pm. At the whole length of my trek I had this fear of rustling leaves, of the utter silence but I did not see the predator. It must be because they rest in the day and hunt at night.

At reaching the lodge I was pretty exhausted, Rajgad is one of the toughest fort treks the paths can be easily deceptive and you might end up being lost. The expertise of guide is earnestly advised.
As the night befall, the mighty Rajgad was silhouetted and the majestic mountain fort stood watching over the region. Since it was summer, we had this little fire lit and drinks made rounds. the nights around the Rajgad are cool thanks to Bhatgar dam whose backwater reach the foothills but even these cold night did nothing for the lodge which was roofed in Tin sheets that was heated up in the day and was releasing heat at night, it made sleeping inside lodge impossible. Hence the decision was made that we will sleep on the platform just outside lodge.

The real fear creeped in as one of my friend had snoring problems. My senses were again on alert since we now were inviting danger by sleeping outside. The fire was extinguished and now there was silence. the generator now being put to rest. The real fear arose, as soon as my friend slept and went into deep sleep he started snoring. My ears were straining to hear any sounds of rustle of fallen leaves or the creaks of twigs.  All that I heard was the snores of my friend. I was scared and awake till dawn, every passing shadow in the moonlight seemed to me, movement of tiger, to make the matter worse the sound of snore was not in any rhythm which happens to be the case in many snoring problems but it was spontaneous at random pitches of volume. The night felt lengthy and though tired from trek, I couldn’t sleep, the fear just overpowered me.

Next morning, I came to my jungle whose ways and laws I am pretty much aware of. Tigers are royal creatures they are what keeps our jungles and forests alive. They should be respected and not to be provoked or hunted in any manner. These majestic creatures still give me goosebumps as I recollect my trek to Rajgad.

Still I long to see a tiger at its home, in the jungle, without being captive just that my fear for these big cats won’t allow me to do so but my disposition beckons me to Tadoba sanctuary a tiger reserve. Let’s see what happens to my own Ailurophobia.




For more on tiger please follow the below link


https://tigersafari.blogspot.in/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Icarus's Lament

The Underdog Part 12; The Escape

First post